Monday, August 17, 2009

Hello LA


After flying over 2,500 miles across the US (with a stop in Kansas City), I officially arrived in LA to start my new life as a graduate student at USC.  Here's what's happened since I've arrived.

August 15th (fly-in day)
- Picked up my luggage from the baggage claim in LAX and managed to roll 3 suitcases, a pillow, and a backpack out to the taxi line.
- Took a taxi to my new apartment.  Called my manager to let him know I was on my way.  Manager doesn't pick up, so I leave a message.
- Arrived at apartment building, payed $75 for the taxi, and proceeded to call my manager again so he could let me into the building.  Still no response.  And now I'm standing on a sidewalk in LA with a whole lot of luggage and more than a few valuable items.
- Finally another tenant walks out the door and lets me in.  Now I proceed to call everyone under the sun that could possible contact my manager and wait in the apartment lobby.
- An hour later, my manager calls and explains how he "mentioned" that he doesn't work on weekends sometime in our earlier conversation, and that my move-in date wasn't until the 17th.  BUT given that he's such a nice manager, he'll send the plumber to get my leasing papers completed and my key to me.  The plumber.
- Another hour later, the plumber arrives and I sign my lease.  The plumber takes me to my apartment. 
- Throw my bags down, take everything out and have it sprawled out all over the floor, inflate bed, and then leave to find food.
- Take a bus out to Hollywood, walk around and see the sites, get food, and come home and pass out on inflatable bed.

August 16th
- Wake up at 8:30am west coast time.  Drink some Arizona Iced Tea I bought last night.  Shower and then head out for bicycle and apartment shopping.
- Find out that all local bike stores are closed on Sundays. Twitch slightly.
- Take a bus to the closest Target store, which is 3 miles away in WeHo (West Hollywood).
- Buy new Schwinn bike!  
- Also purchase window curtains, two 4ft window curtain rods, a shower curtain, cleaning supplies, and a toilet paper stand-holder-thing.
- Proceed to bike 3 miles back from Target with a backpack full of stuff, several Target bags, and two curtain rods.
- Eat at Jack in a Box, 3 blocks from apartment.  SO GOOD.
- Go to Walgreens, also 3 blocks from apartment, and pick up more mundane things.
- Bike 5.5 miles to USC campus with laptop in order to check email for the first time since Friday. Find out that wireless on laptop is NOT WORKING.  Die a little inside.
- Bike back to apartment, sit down on inflatable bed, and pass out.

August 17th
- Wake up at 6:30am.  Shower, dress, and out the door by 7 to bike to USC campus for orientation.
- Find out that orientation is 3 hours LATER than what was originally thought.
- Stumble into USC library, find a computer, and GET ONLINE.  Parts of soul that died earlier are now restored.


Annnnd that's about it.  I'll try to have some pictures posted when I...uh...have internet.  And can post things.

Hope everyone's doing well back east!



1 comment:

Ethrim said...

So I take it you go into a coma every night instead of sleep?


...Man your blog has me addicted.

-Art