Monday, March 24, 2008

Err, I'd like to buy a Vol?

During my drive back to College Park last night (the final leg of a spring break spent relaxing and sleeping), I stumbled across an interesting internal discovery: I have an addiction. And I probably wont be seeking out a support group for it.

I'm addicted to triplets in rock music. As in, musical note triplets. Sometimes in rap and pop, but mostly in rock. Dead serious (hey now, that's serious).

For some ridiculous unknown reason, whenever I hear triplets in a rock song, I get a rush. Throw in a sweet chord progression, and you've got me hooked.

Now triplets are nothing new, but their major appearance in rock has been pretty recent. The fact that triplets tear away from the traditional common rhythm and stand out so blatantly makes them "special". If you're like me (although I doubt anyone else has this...problem?), you do a mental double-take when a set of triplets rolls off a bass drum or slides up an electric. They contrast the regular *boom chick boom chick* enough to make the song rhythmically interesting, but blend in perfectly enough so you can still head bang to the original beat. Triplets are God's gift to us music-loving fools who want a little spice. Amen.

So now that you know how little it takes to make me happy, I'm headed off to the gym with ipod in hand so I can enjoy my precious triplets while on the treadmill.

Holler at a certain ufgator for her comments. The next step: make a blog so I can comment back, heh.

Bracket update: 3/4 Final Four Contestants left. Georgetown is dead to me. Gooo Vols!


No comments: